Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The weight blog

I ran across an article today about blogging to lose weight.

Check the blog site: http://www.diet-blog.com

Check the specific entry: http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2008/04/04/could_writing_a_blog_help_you_lose_weight.php)

The argument is that writing a blog about your quest to lose weight will help motivate you. The benefits of blogging about your weight include:

Community support
Accountability
Tracking your progress
Helping others
If you’re lucky – getting a book deal

For some people starting a blog may be exactly the way to go for all (or most) of these reasons. If you need support and guidance from others (even strangers) then a blog might help you. If you know that having to write about or track your diet and exercise daily will make you stay on track – consider a blog. After all, experts say that keeping a diet and exercise journal is a great way to be accountable and helps people keep weight off once they’ve lost it. Your blog may be what it takes to make your accountable and successful.

Having been working on this blog for a few weeks now, I have also found some problems. For me, writing a blog about weight loss has not helped my dieting or exercise for several reasons:

I’m thinking about dieting all the time
I look at every diet I’ve even been on to find material
I focus on the negative
Getting readers is takes work
Working on the blog distracts me from exercise
I crave soda and caffeine while sitting at my computer
Whenever I think about what I didn’t do (eat right, exercise, drink water, whatever) I get irritated

But remember I write about not losing weight. It is possible that the topic of this blog is sabotaging my weight loss.

No comments: