Thursday, July 24, 2008

Start With a 10% Goal

This is another goal I'm not sure I can work with. Some say that a goal of 50 pounds or 100 pounds is just too many, too daunting to begin. Instead these same people recommend starting with a 10% goal. This means if you weigh 150, lose 15 pounds as your first goal. It sounds like a good goal, a reasonable goal that you will stay motivated enough to get to.

It sounds good. That is, until you get there.

In my own attempt to just lose 10% I did OK. It took 2 months but I got rid of the 10%. I was one step healthier, right? Now what?

I reached the 10% and had to set a new goal. But being the difficult woman that I am, I couldn't just continue on the same path I had some success with, no that's not my style. Instead I bought a pair of jeans and some new shoes to celebrate reaching my first goal. Then I went out happy with the new size. I thought great I can do this. I can lose weight.

Somewhere along the way I forgot that I had to set a new goal. I should have decided from the first what I would do once I reached the 10% mark. I didn't because in reality I didn't think I would ever get there. So a month or 2 after reaching the first goal, I still hadn't set a second goal and was starting to gain back what I'd already lost.

So now what? Set another 10% goal - 10% of what I wonder??

No comments: