Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bread, the greatest thing since well...

I love bread. I love all forms of bread - rolls, biscuits, toast, bagels - I love them all. This morning I made a loaf of white bread in my bread machine. My apartment smells heavenly, all that soft, white, squishy goodness that is bread.

I'm guessing my bread obsession is why I never succeeded on a low-carb diet. I mean really, who wants to give up squishy white bread, especially when it's fresh??

As a child when parents did the horrible threaten of sending me to bed without dinner or talked about those poor people who had to live on bread and water - I didn't see the harm personally. If I had to live on bread alone, I figured I would eat well. My five year old self did really understand the balanced diet and why our bodies need protein and fresh vegetables. Even though I understand that now I still can't seem to give up the bread.

I have no problem letting go of the pasta (though I'm a fan of lasagna and mac n' cheese), potatoes (a trip to Ireland several years ago lessened my urge for potatoes) and rice. I can give up sugar and artificial sweeteners.

BUT I CANNOT GIVE UP BREAD!

As of yet, I can't even say that being thin again would be worth it.

No comments: