Thursday, December 4, 2008

Weight loss podcasts

How to you feel about podcasts? Have you ever listened to them?

I am a huge fan of my iPod. Having my music available without interruption makes me happy, not just when traveling. I use the iPod to tune out office noises at work so I can focus and concentrate while writing. I also use my iPod at home to motivate me when I’m cleaning or organizing. This tiny machine provides the music I love at my fingertips and provides a sense of privacy that allows me to tune out the rest of the world. In short, it’s a modern marvel in the life of a semi-technophobe.

While experimenting with the iPod I have stumbled across several free podcasts available on iTunes. Recently I found some podcasts that are directed towards those who want to lose weight. I subscribed to a couple, the one I found recently, Inside Out Weight Loss with Renee Stephens. This podcast is all about using the Law of Attraction to change your mental state to help you lose weight.

Surrounding the listener for a half hour of motivational speaking and zen-like background music seems to be the goal. This morning I was catching up on a few of the older podcasts. Renee spoke in this episode about not putting off the now and living now for the ideal life that will occur when we reach our ideal weight.

The conversation was interesting and focused on changing how we think instead of how we eat. I’m not saying that we won’t have to change our food or exercise habits but the idea is that before we can be successful in changing those habits we have to change our mental habits. She recommends changing our views on the past and past events. She talks about changing our minds to rethink the events in the past that have shaped us or are holding us back from being successful.

I’m willing to try listening to motivation for a few weeks before I make a statement of opinion but so far I am skeptical. What about you? Would motivational speaking hold any sway over your mental challenges when it comes to your life, and your weight loss?

Have you tried podcasts, or other audio reinforcement?
What did you try?
How did it work for you?

Please let us know.

No comments: