Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dream Big

I’m about to embark on a new diet/exercise plan (as usual). I was thinking about the Zone but came across something I hope may work even better. I have a thing about thinking about food. I hate to have to think about food all the time just to be able to monitor my calorie intake. Having to think about food all the time is the biggest obstacle for my losing weight (even more so than the soda and sugar addiction).

To I’m planning to try Turbulence Training http://www.Turbulencetraining.com. What appeals to me about this plan is that it is about effective weight training and fat burning. There is a nutrition component with a focus on balanced, natural foods. But more than that, the exercise seems to motivate me more.

This week I am reading the ebook and some of the supplemental/bonus materials that come from ordering the ebook. One of the bonuses is Mastering the Fat Loss Mindset by Dax Moy (founder of the Magic Hundred) and Craig Ballantyne (founder of Turbulence Training).

The point they repeat in this 31 page e-pamphlet is contrary to all other weight loss suggestions. Instead of losing big and quick or slowing down by setting small goals, this pair recommends dreaming big. They advise instead of setting a goal of losing 10 or 20 pounds and then setting a new goal once that is achieved, to set a true goal. To decide what you really want and then aim for it. So if you really want to lose 100 pounds, setting a goal to lose 15 is not inspiring or motivating enough to get you through. The argument is that even if you do set a small goal of 15 pounds and you do lose that weight, what’s to keep you on track to setting a new goal.

So what do you think? Is it better to set a true large, long term goal that you really want OR to set up a smaller, short term goal that you can actually meet?

So far the short term hasn’t worked for me, so I’m going to try the alternative.

1 comment:

Noe Lyons said...

Goals by their very nature suggest "lack", so as soon as they are set you have to PUSH yourself to achieve them.

Consider Roles instead. WHO do you see yourself as - raise the bar. Then what behaviour is compatible with that "role". Now you are being PULLED onwards and upwards. A strong enough why will overcome any how!

Noel Lyons
http://www.getfit.es