Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Something's got to give

I tried to get back into the workout routine today. I've done OK this week getting back to eating natural foods and avoiding processed foods but for some reason I'm so exhausted that exercise is a problem.

I mentioned a while ago that I've been trying to start Turbulence Training which is a strength training program that looks like it would work wonders and help jump start getting in shape. The strength training isn't just about losing weight; it's about building a better body. Which is really what I'm after.

The problem is that by the time I get home at night I am so tired I can barely see straight. Then figure in 3 - 4 hours of writing time for my many projects and I often forget to eat dinner until after 9.

Today I tried to get the routine in as soon as I got home at 530. I figure if I just do it when I get home, I can then shower and have dinner before diving back into working. Today I made it home a few minutes early. I changed clothes and began the workout. I made it through the warm up with no problems and all the way through the first set of exercises before I became a little light headed. Now I had eaten 2 meals and 2 snacks spaced throughout the day and had 48 or my 64 ounces of water -- so I shouldn't have felt light headed. There was just no reason for it.

I paused for a minute then tried to get back down to the routine. The second set of exercises started fine until I had to lie on the floor for an exercise. Half way through a set of 10 all I wanted was to curl up and go to sleep, right there on my living room floor. I was so tired.

I kept thinking to myself -- there is so much I have left to do today. Yet I could barely keep my eyes open. I lay there for at least 5 minutes before I pushed myself up off the ground and decided it was time to give up for the day. Even if I had completed the workout I wouldn't have had the energy to really push myself.

After a cool shower that should have made me feel alert, I was still dragging. So much so that the idea of cooking dinner was more than I wished to deal with. I pulled out my emergency tomato soup for one and combined it with some low fat cheddar and crackers. I even brewed a pot of coffee since I really did have work to do.

The problem was my eyes were drooping before I finished my meal. I gave in for a 30 minute cat nap then forced myself to wake up and get to work.

So now here I am, it's late, an hour past my usual bedtime. The coffee didn't keep me alert but the headache leftover from the nap has kept me slogging through. I'm writing this to try to relax some of the tension in my headache so that I will be able to sleep when my head nears the pillow.

I only hope it will work.

I just keep thinking, how will I ever lose weight if I am so busy and SO TIRED that I can't even get my work done much less exercise and sleep.

No comments: