Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gravity getting you down?!

Gravity is the force of nature that gives us out weight. It also is what holds us firmly to the planet so we don't go soaring off into space as the Earth turns on its axis. SO most of us have a love/hate relationship with gravity.

You see, gravity is what makes me weigh almost 180 pounds when I step on the scale. It's a safe bet I would weigh much less on the moon or floating in space.


Of course we can't blame our shape or size on gravity. We cannot blame our relative weight on gravity either but sometimes when I just need to blame someone or something other than myself, gravity is as good a target as any.


While on vacation I spent today hiking in the Poconos. I wandered to Bushkill Falls which is a series of waterfalls. The view was pretty amazing and I counted the hike as exercise since it took about 2 hours of walking through the woods, climbing up and down steep staircases and trudging over rocks and uneven ground.


By the end of the walk I was sweating (even though the temperatures were calm for fall and in the 60s) and I had to stop three times because I was breathing so heavy after walking up the stairs. So this was definitely exercise. BUT it was also fun and relaxing.


A side effect of my trek through the woods was that I got some great photos of the waterfalls and started thinking about gravity in a positive way. Sometimes just getting out and looking around gives me enough of a new idea that I start to force myself out of negative attitudes. So I decided to share a photo from my vacation with you.



This waterfall is another side of gravity.

Without that force, the water would have no reason to fall over the edge.

No comments: