Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kicking it old school

Hi, Noelle here. Colette has been busy trying some new diet ideas and I have decided to go back to an old favorite - Atkins. Actually, I've never done the diet as written by the late doctor, although I've done very low-carb with a nutritionist, but my husband tells me that some of his best success as a dieter was on Atkins when he lost about 60 pounds (starting from a number well into the 300's). And apparently this diet has been around for some time - I was on a message board where a woman said she was doing the version of the plan from 1972.

I'm doing this because I'd like to do some eating that I enjoy for a while. I'd like to eat meat and cheese and eggs (and romaine lettuce, too, since I do like salad) and take a break from oatmeal, high fiber bread, sliced turkey, and low fat cottage cheese. So, this is a blatant attempt to quell my emotional eating angst by eating foods that will satisfy my hunger and let me feel like I really ate something good.

While I was doing DASH I had to give up most of the simple carbs anyways, so now I just have to give up the carbs made with flour and sugar, but I get to keep the leafy greens. I'm not too worried about missing sugar - I can't even say the last time I had chocolate (six weeks, maybe?). The induction phase is two weeks. I can't say I'm positive this is going to work, but I feel like I want to do something tasty this time.

Oh, and 5:30 AM Jazzercise starts tomorrow, too.

No comments: