Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fit Day Tracking

I never feel like I get anywhere when I diet. I expect dramatic results in short periods of time which is why I am usually disappointed. Even knowing this I haven’t been able to change my habits. I know that starving won’t work because by the end of three days I will be cranky enough to chew someone out for no reason (and I’ll want to eat their arm). Setting a goal of exercising an hour a day doesn’t work for me either.

I know what doesn’t work, yet I still keep plugging along. I’m a sucker for a gimmick. If it promises I can lose weight fast, I’ve probably done it. I stop short of volunteering for a tape worm but I buy exercise videos, machines and even diets off the internet or infomercials. They never seem to work.

I decided a few months ago to try to stop wasting money on losing weight since money wasn’t getting me anywhere. I no longer will join a gym or pay for personal training when I know I won’t stick to it. Even if I think I will show up every day, let’s be serious. I can only delude myself for so long. So for now, there is a moratorium on buying anything with the intent of losing weight.

Imagine my surprise today when looking at an article about tech tips for time management. I came across a recommendation for www.fitday.com. Being the curious diet nut that I am, I just had to check it out. Before you become concerned about my obsession I should tell you that I also checked out a site for managing your to do list at www.rememberthemilk.com.

I did sign up at Fit Day, however, for a free diet tracker. This tool was cool. I could input what I ate and the tracker would track calories and nutrition. There are even pie charts that show how much of your diet is carbs, fat and protein. The activity tracker allows you to enter your activity, time and intensity and the tracker figures calories. You can set goals and track them. You can enter your body measurements and weigh-ins and track these as well. Fit Day also does the math to figure out how many calories you should eat and estimates how many you burn even when sedentary (based upon your weight). If you want to know your body mass index, that’s available too.

I don’t know how this will work but I’ve decided to give it a try. Maybe all the bells and whistles will motivate me.

No comments: